Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Kitchen

It is the early morning before I leave for France.  I have been up since 5:00am so that I will be able to fall asleep on the plane this evening at 5:00pm!  When I land in Paris it will be 6am there, but only 11pm here.  I have been trying to reset my 'clock' for the past few days by going to bed very early.  My husband thinks I'm nuts but what's new??? :-)

I guess I should officially tell everyone what this blog is about.  I am on my way to Agen, France to study french kitchens for two weeks.  My lovely hostess, Kate Hill, has a beautiful setup on a farm in southwest france (her website: kitchen-at-camont.com).  She has agreed to admit me into her program and take me around to as many french kitchens as is possible in two weeks.  I will also be studying the french way of life as it pertains to the kitchen.  Why?, you might be asking, am I doing this??  Because I can't imagine not doing it.  I love the french way of looking at food, the family, connecting to the people who produce their food, the rituals surrounding all of it.  I want to see how they function in their kitchens and how it is different from us.  As a kitchen designer, I want to bring this knowledge into my designs.  As a person, I want to see how we, as Americans, can learn from these practices.  We have drifted far from the art of the kitchen in our hectic lives!

 This blog is my way to record what I am learning, but also, a way to share it with my dear family and friends while I am gone.   I hope you will find it interesting and learn something new along the way!

My kitchen
So, farewell to my kitchen for now.  I am sure I will see it in a different light when I get home. 

A bientot!

1 comment: